Pin It
Travis Scott, Drake, Astroworld Festival
via Instagram (@astroworldfest)

TikTok responds to Astroworld satanic conspiracy theories

A wave of conspiracy theories have flooded the platform following the deadly crowd crush at Travis Scott’s festival last week

TikTok is clamping down on videos spreading satanic conspiracies regarding the deadly crowd crush at Travis Scott’s Astroworld last week (November 5).

Eight people were killed and over 300 were injured at the festival in Houston, Texas. Among the dead were several teenagers, the youngest of whom was just 14 years old. 

Following the event, hundreds of videos began to emerge on TikTok, positing that Scott was conducting some kind of satanic ritual. Some also pointed out alleged satanic symbolism on the festival grounds.

Earlier this week, Rolling Stone highlighted that one of the most popular videos, alluding to the quasi-demonic imagery in Scott’s stage design, had reached 23 million views on the platform. Additionally, typing “Astroworld” into the search bar brought up results like “Astroworld demonic”.

A TikTok representative has responded that it is working on taking action against the content, including within its search suggestions. “Such content is in violation of our Community Guidelines and is being removed,” TikTok told Complex.

Several lawsuits have now been filed against Travis Scott and Drake for the events at Astroworld festival. Drake was accused of contributing to the surge towards the front after making an appearance during Scott’s set. 

“As Drake came on stage alongside Travis Scott, he helped incite the crowd, even though he knew of Travis Scott’s prior conduct,” reads a lawsuit filed by a 23-year-old who was severely injured at the concert. The complaint, filed in Harris County Court in Houston, claims that Scott “had incited mayhem and chaos at prior events” and “defendants knew or should have known of (Scott’s) prior conduct”.

Scott said in a statement on Saturday (November 6) that he was “absolutely devastated by what took place last night” and promised to work “together with the Houston community to heal and support the families in need”.

In the second statement, Scott said he could “never imagine the severity of the situation”, adding that he always wants to “leave (his fans) with a positive experience”. “Anytime I can make out what’s going on, I stop the show and help them get the help they need,” he said.

Earlier this week, Scott announced that he would pay for the funeral costs of victims of the incident, as well as cover online therapy costs for those in need.