The Florida hospitals that tended to the people hurt in the Orlando club shooting earlier in the year have vowed not to charge the survivors.
According to the Washington Post, Orlando Regional Medical Center said it would rely on insurance plans and an official victims fund from city officials to cover the costs. The “total unreimbursed costs” could reach $5 million.
On June 12, the attack by a gunman at Pulse nightclub left 49 people dead and dozens injured. The majority of those attacked were LGBT Latinx people.
Orlando Health, a nonprofit healthcare network, where the majority of those injured were taken, said: “Orlando Health has not sent any hospital or medical bills directly to Pulse patients and we don’t intend to pursue reimbursement of medical costs from them.”
Other options to fund the hospital costs include state and federal funds, state programs for crime victims and charities.
A spokesperson for Florida Hospital, which treated 12 survivors, also confirmed they wouldn’t pursue bills, according to a hospital spokeswoman.
“It was incredible to see how our community came together in the wake of the senseless Pulse shooting,” Daryl Tol, the president and chief executive of Florida Hospital and Adventist Health System’s Central Florida Region, said, according to the Orlando Sentinel. “We hope this gesture can add to the heart and goodwill that defines Orlando.”
Authorities have confirmed that investigations into the crime are still ongoing, as they attempt to review prevention of and reaction to attacks like this mass shooting.