The 21 year old rapper died in December last year
Juice WRLD’s death was ruled an accidental overdose by the Cook County Medical Examiner today (January 22). The Chicago rapper was just 21 when he died after suffering cardiac arrest-like symptoms at Chicago’s Midway Airport late last year.
The medical examiner reports that he overdosed on oxycodone and codeine. Narcan – a drug administered to block the effects of opioids – was administered on the scene, according to NME.
On December 13, thousands of fans also held a vigil on the streets of Chicago.
Besides being a devastating loss for family, friends, and fans, Juice WRLD’s death also fits into a wider, international conversation about drugs and how they’ve become associated with music. Many across the music industry – fans and artists alike – have questioned whether rap culture’s ties to opioids is becoming a serious problem.