The disgraced producer claims he ‘pioneered’ better representation of women in the film industry, despite the huge number of rape and sexual assault allegations against him
Harvey Weinstein doesn’t seem to understand the severity of his alleged crimes. In a new interview, the disgraced producer has claimed to be a champion of women, despite being accused of raping and sexually assaulting them throughout his career.
Speaking to the New York Post, Weinstein complained that he feels like “the forgotten man” whose crimes “eviscerated” his work. The producer shockingly went on to suggest he deserved a pat on the back when it comes to his support of women in Hollywood.
“I made more movies directed by women and about women than any filmmaker,” he whined, “and I’m talking about 30 years ago. I’m not talking about now when it’s vogue. I did it first! I pioneered it!”
Discussing his role in Gwyneth Paltrow’s success – who accused Weinstein of harassing her in 1994 – the producer boasted that she got $10 million (£7.5 million) for starring in View from the Top. “She was the highest-paid female actor in an independent film. Higher paid than all the men,” he said.
The 67-year-old gave the interview while recovering from spinal surgery, which he reportedly sustained in a car accident in August. Weinstein appeared in court last week walking with a zimmer frame, though was spotted just days later without it, leading to accusations that he’s using a walker for sympathy. The producer agreed to the New York Post interview in order to set the record straight – though refused to talk about any sexual assault allegations against him.
“I want this city to recognise who I was instead of what I’ve become,” Weinstein said of New York – a confusing statement given accusations against him stretch back decades.
Last night, 23 of his accusers said the producer is “trying to gaslight society again”. They added: “He says in a new interview he doesn’t want to be forgotten. Well, he won’t be. He will be remembered as a sexual predator and an unrepentant abuser who took everything and deserves nothing.”
The women continued: “He will be remembered by the collective will of countless women who stood up and said enough. We refuse to let this predator rewrite his legacy of abuse.”
Weinstein has been accused of sexual assault or harassment by over 80 women, and is set to go on trial for rape on January 6. The mogul recently reached a $25 million (£18.7 million) settlement with more than 30 women which, if approved, would end most of the civil lawsuits against him.
The extent of the producer’s crimes came to light after an exposé in The New York Times in October 2017. Speaking to Dazed last month, Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey – the journalists who reported the story – discussed how they uncovered the story, and the power of the resulting #MeToo movement.
“#MeToo has become the everyday reality now,” Kantor said, “but none of that was inevitable – it was all the result of brave decisions by many people. Social attitudes have shifted and there’s more accountability than ever before, but what we haven’t really seen change are systems and structures.” Read the full interview here.