After years of will-he, won’t-he speculation, Luca Guadagnino says he’d still like to make a sequel to 2017’s Call Me By Your Name, focused on Timothée Chalamet’s Elio.
“A sequel is an American concept,” the filmmaker said during an interview at the Telluride Film Festival. “It’s more like the chronicles of Elio, the chronicles of this young boy becoming a man. It is something I want to do.” It is a slight backtrack from comments he made in June 2021, when the director admitted that, while his “heart is still” in a Call Me By Your Name sequel, there were other projects – including a Scarface remake – that he was prioritising.
Guadagnino and Chalamet recently reunited for Guadagnino’s Bones and All, a coming-of-age story about cannibal lovers Maren (Taylor Russell) and Lee (Chalamet). Also in the film is Chloë Sevigny, who starred in Guadagnino’s HBO series We Are Who We Are last year. The cast also includes other Guadagnino faves, such as Michael Stuhlbarg (CMBYN) and Francesca Scorsese (We are Who We Are), alongside Jessica Harper, André Holland, Mark Rylance, and Halloween filmmaker David Gordon Green (in his acting debut).
Guadagnino has already dismissed the parallels between the subject of his movie and the cannibal-related abuse allegations against Chalamet’s Call Me By Your Name co-star Armie Hammer. While Hammer’s career has plummeted, Guadagnino gushed about Chalamet’s rise to stardom. “To see the humbleness and rigour with which he made his first steps toward stardom – this bright, feverish young man became this planetary star – made me so proud,” Guadagnino said. “There is a very beautiful bond between [us].”
Bones and All is out on November 23. Watch the trailer below.