For this month’s man machine issue, Dazed gets to delve into the archives of Thierry Mugler. Woman machine is born when the iconic designer’s robotic creations are mixed with A/W’s protective armour and cyborg silhouettes. Inspired by Mr Mugler, Gareth Pugh especially custom made plastic masks for this story, that mold around the features of the face, further distorting the human form into protective armour, ready for war.
Simon Cahn was on set to film the woman machine in the making...
You need to have the Macromedia Flash plugin installed to be able to play this video.
CREDITS Photography Mark Pillai Styling Katie Shillingford Hair Christian Eberhard at Jed Root using Tresemme Make-Up Lloyd Simmonds at Agence Carole Model Georgina at Women Photographic Assistants Greg Gex, Loc Boyle, Nikos Vassiliadis Styling Assistants Marlene Giacomazzo, Louise Hall-Strutt, Julie Allard Digital Operator John at Imagin-Paris Studio Assistant Nathalie Carne Special Thanks To Le Studio Rouchon, Elodie at Artlist, The Archive of Thierry Mugler
1. Catsuit by Maison Martin Margiela; Metal Bra, Pants and Sleeve by Thierry Mugler Ready to Wear S/S 1991; Mask Custom Made for Dazed & Confused by Gareth Pugh
2. Harness by Alexander McQueen; Dress worn underneath by Mark Fast; Gloves by Giorgio Armani; Trousers by Jitrois; Boots by Gareth Pugh; Mask and Armour custom made for Dazed & Confused by Gareth Pugh
3. Dress by Hussein Chalayan; Boots by Nicholas Kirkwood for Rodarte
4. Jumper by Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere; Skirt by Giles; Gloves by Jitrois; Trousers by Haider Ackermann; Helmet and Collar by Thierry Mugler Ready to Wear S/S 1991
5. Dress and Polo Neck by Junya Watanabe; Gloves by Giorgio Armani; Boots by Alexander McQueen; Mask Custom Made for Dazed & Confused by Gareth Pugh
6. Suit by Gucci; Bolero and Basque by Thierry Mugler Ready to Wear A/W 1995/6; Mask Custom Made for Dazed & Confused by Gareth Pugh
7. Jumpsuit and Shoes by Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci; Head-piece by Nasir Mazhar
8. Dress by Dolce & Gabbana; Gloves by Jitrois; Boots by Alexander McQueen; Hat by Giles; Harness by Ann Demeulemeester
9.Coat by Jil Sander; Hair Jewellery by Husam El Odeh; collar by Thierry Mugler Ready to Wear S/S 1991
10. Leather Top and Gloves by Jitrois; Skirt by Rodarte; Armour Custom Made for Dazed & Confused by Gareth Pugh; D:light watch by Swarovski; Boots by Prada
11. Collar Sleeve by Masion Martin Margiela; Body and Shoes by Yves Saint Laurent; Tights by Jean paul Gaultier; Armour Custom Made for Dazed & Confused by Gareth Pugh; Cuffs by Balenciaga by Nicolas Ghesquiere