Sony still wants to release The Interview, James Franco and Seth Rogen film that it cancelled in the face of threats from the hacker group Guardians Of Peace. Speaking on CNN, Sony chief executive Michael Lynton said that the studio is determined for the public to see the film and was considering using YouTube as the intermediary.
“We have always had every desire to have the American public see this movie", he said.
While Sony may not be able to rake in any ticket sales via YouTube, there's no doubt that viewing figures for the the film are bound to be high if it comes out via the video-sharing site. There has been so much bizarre press in the run up to The Interview's release that there's an eager audience waiting to see what all the fuss is about, even if a Sony exec did share concerns privately that it's "desperately unfunny".
Last week, the FBI publicly named North Korea as the culprits behind the Sony hack, regardless of the fact that there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of evidence that it's actually them. North Korea maintains that it had nothing to do with the hack and proposed a joint investigation into the crime, but the US said that the Hermit Kingdom must admit culpability before they'll work alongside them. DPRK released a statement on Sunday calling the US "an ill-famed cesspool of injustice and terrorism", so teaming up doesn't exactly look on the cards right now.
It's not all bad though is it?. Amidst an escalating war of words between two countries, THANK GOD Sony is still going to let us see The Interview.