Thanks to our incompetant government, the UK has just entered its third lockdown. With another few months of stay-at-home orders ahead of us, people are beginning to wonder whether 2021 will also be a write off – AKA: will festival season go ahead or nah?
One person bizarrely stoking the fire is Mel B, who went on Radio 5 yesterday (January 4) to declare that this year’s Glastonbury has, in fact, been cancelled. “I know that Glastonbury’s been cancelled,” the former Spice Girl told host Nihal Arthanayake, “so a lot of big stage performances are on hold again this year, which is sad but we’ve got to get the virus under control.”
The festival’s organiser Emily Eavis quickly disputed the claim, writing on Twitter: “There’s no news this end yet, we haven’t cancelled. Will let you know right here as soon as we have an update.” However, she also told a worried fan that the 2021 event was “not cancelled yet” and confirmed that – if Glastonbury was to be cancelled – ticket holders would be able to carry their deposits over to 2022.
Last month, Paul McCartney – who was set to headline 2020’s 50th anniversary Glastonbury – said he believes this year’s event will be cancelled. “100,000 people, closely packed together with flags and no masks. Talk about super-spreader.”
Now that Michael Gove has suggested the third lockdown may not be eased until March, it’s going to be difficult for festival organisers to actually plan an event. Another summer of board games, park drinking, and general malaise may be ahead of us!