The Beauty Backed campaign is supporting the community the government won’t
On Friday (July 31), just a day before restrictions were set to lift, the government backtracked on its decision to ease rules forbidding “close contact” beauty services including face waxing, eyelash treatments, and facial treatments.
A harsh blow to many in the industry, this decision means that beauty professionals who had been set to return to work after months of unemployment and struggle have to yet again wait to hear when they can get back to their jobs and start earning again.
In response to the news, the British Beauty Council, the British Association of Beauty Therapy & Cosmetology (BABTAC), and a group of industry experts and influencers including Caroline Hirons have launched the Beauty Backed campaign. Aiming to raise money, support, and awareness for the beauty community, the campaign includes a petition to end clinic restrictions and a fundraiser to help support beauty professionals unable to work due to the “government’s lack of support.” “We cannot keep letting our industry be left behind when so many people have fallen through the cracks,” said Hirons announcing the campaign.
“The impact of the lockdown has been absolutely crippling to the hair and beauty sector,” says Lesley Blair, BABTAC Chair. “We hope that by working together, we raise money for those in such desperate need, and awareness of the lack of ongoing financial support that we are facing as an industry.”
The campaign launched last night and as of writing the petition has been signed by over 12,000 people while the fundraiser has raised over £58K, 100 per cent of which will be dispersed via the Hair and Beauty Charity.
“Just when we thought we could begin rebuilding our industry, we are now being denied a huge portion of it,” Sharmadean Reid told Dazed Beauty on Friday after the announcement was made. “Just when people thought they could begin rebuilding their lives, businesses, and the economy, to now have this stripped again is just heartbreaking for so many Beauty Pros. There is an entire economy of women currently unable to work, which will ultimately result in businesses closing and the high street being decimated.”
The government has announced that close contact beauty treatments will be allowed to resume from Saturday 15 August, two weeks after restrictions were originally set to ease. The news comes just days after the Beauty Backed campaign sent Boris Johnson and other members of parliament a letter urging the government to allow the beauty community back to work. The letter was signed by industry experts including Dr Dennis Gross, Dr Sebagh, Charlotte Tilbury, and Lisa Eldrige.
“We’re delighted to get everyone working again this is such welcomed news for our industry,” says BABTAC Chair Lesley Blair. “These restrictions being lifted will not only improve revenue streams for beauty businesses, but will give a much needed lifeline for many that have not been able to work in nearly 5 months.”
“This week has been quite a week, but we’re proud of the support and advice we’ve been able to give to government in making the right decisions about what to do industry wide and that we’re now finally able to move forward in positive way.”